i have adventures (sometimes)

Wednesday 3 April 2013

Linguisticali Working

18:45 Posted by Ali , , No comments
Friends! Romans! Countrypeople! You are looking at -

No, wait.


You are now looking at a thrice-employed researcher! That's right - from next week, I'll have five whole days a week of work to do for three different organisations. And I'll be getting paid... for just over one of those days.

So still not being able to afford to pay rent or buy a new duvet is a bummer, but the good news is that I have WORK! With people who actually met me and still decided to hire me!

I get to do research and data capturing and various Bits of Stuff for some organisations I like, and which I will not name because I don't think they want to be Googled and associated with my rants and ramblings. So I shall call them the Food Place, the Health Place, and the Fundraising Place.

I started at the Food Place this week, and on my first day I saw four yellow cars on my walk to work, which was clearly a sign. I've been doing interesting research and getting free lunches, and I'm enjoying it there so far. My boss also dropped me home the other day because it was raining, so I get to do all these interesting things and have faith in humanity. Which is nice.

Getting work was also a good excuse to go out and buy shirts and one pair of incredibly green pants.* At Pick n Pay, because I can't really afford to buy clothes anywhere else right now.

I am good at office wear.
Things are finally going somewhere. I'm disappointed that I'm still not earning enough to support myself (dear god, people my age have houses and babies and I can't pay my own rent), but I appreciate the experience and I'm happy to be doing what I want to do. The freelancing's picking up a bit, so there's that too. I also know how lucky I am to have the resources to work mostly unpaid. It's not what I want, but I'm grateful to have the opportunity at all.

In the words of Avenue Q, "for now we're happy, if not overjoyed". Things are good - on the job front, certainly better than they've been thus far - but they could be better. I'm hoping this is the start of better things.

Or maybe it's just the optimism that comes with fantastically green pants.

*No, British friends. American pants.

0 comments:

Post a Comment